How can you attract more luck into your life and are some people just born lucky? This was the subject of research by Dr. Richard Wiseman and his colleagues over a couple of decades. Dr Wiseman concluded that the only sure way to become more lucky in life is to kiss a leprechaun. And considering St Patrick’s Day is just around the corner you might be in luck! I’m kidding of course.
What Dr Wiseman discovered was that people who are luckier in life do certain things differently than those who consider themselves unlucky in life. These traits draw a remarkable parallel to the work that Dr Martin P. Seligman and his team did over the last 40 years which led to the differences between successful, confident and happy people versus those who lack confidence, tend to see themselves as failures, and who are generally unhappy going through life. More on this in a future blog but for the moment, here are the things that you can do to bring more luck into your life.
In order to become more lucky (and successful) in life, Dr Wiseman recommends following these 4 principles:
PRINCIPLE ONE: Maximise Your Chance Opportunities
Lucky people create, notice and act upon the chance opportunities in their life.
- Lucky people build and maintain a strong network of people.
- Lucky people have a relaxed attitude towards life.
- Lucky people are open to new experiences in their life.
PRINCIPLE TWO: Listen to Your Lucky Hunches
Lucky people make successful decisions by using their intuition and gut feelings.
- Lucky people listen to their gut feelings and hunches.
- Lucky people take steps to boost their intuition.
PRINCIPLE THREE: Expect Good Fortune
Lucky people’s expectations about the future help them fulfill their dreams and ambitions.
- Lucky people expect their good fortune to continue in the future.
- Lucky people attempt to achieve their goals, even if their chances of success seems slim, and persevere in the face of failure.
- Lucky people expect their interactions with others to be lucky and successful.
PRINCIPLE FOUR: Turn Your Bad Luck Into Good
Lucky people are able to transform their bad luck into good fortune.
- Lucky people see the positive side of their bad luck.
- Lucky people are convinced that any ill fortune in their life will, in the long run, work out for the best.
- Lucky people do not dwell on their ill fortune.
- Lucky people take constructive steps to prevent more bad luck in the future.
If you’re interested in learning more, check out Dr Wiseman’s book on the subject, The Luck Factor. Also, if you’re interested in learning more about Dr Seligman’s work, which I highly recommend, the title of this book is called Learned Optimism.
If you’d like to know more about how to achieve more in life or business, or if you’d like to explore how coaching can help you become a better leader (of others or yourself!), or even if you’re just generally curious about what professional coaching can offer you, please contact us at any time for a free consultation.
Subscribe & Stay Informed
Best way to keep in touch with our latest news and updates.